Graffiti cleaned from Hove beach huts after wave of vandalism
BEACHFRONT beach huts were cleaned up after being targeted by ‘reckless’ vandals over the weekend.
Brighton and Hove City Council said that although it was not responsible for removing graffiti on private property, it had removed the blue spray paint “once”.
It comes after the huts near Hove Lawns and the walls, fences and lamp posts near King’s Esplanade were the target of vandals on Saturday night.
Speaking over the weekend, Councilor Robert Nemeth, Conservative Councilor for Wish Ward and founder of the Hove Beach Huts Association, criticized the council for taking a “soft” approach to vandalism.
But in a statement, the council said it was far from “gentle on vandalism” and had taken “very positive steps” in recent months.
A council spokesperson said: ‘We have committed £ 100,000 for graffiti removal in this year’s budget.
“We always remove offensive graffiti within 24 hours of notification. However, we do not remove graffiti from private property unless it is offensive.
“We have a dedicated graffiti removal service for public properties along the waterfront.
“Beach cabins are the responsibility of individual owners, but in this case our team cleaned them up from graffiti on an ad hoc basis.
“The council has no money to spend on regularly removing graffiti from private property.
“Last year we consulted on whether the city wanted us to remove graffiti from private property at cost – but the results of this consultation made it clear that this was not supported.
“We will continue to do what we can to clean up the town and work closely with Sussex Police on anti-social behavior and vandalism – because catching the culprits is not the responsibility of the council.
“Police vans and officers patrolled the Lower Prom on Friday and over the weekend, and that continues today.”